TURNING STUDENTS INTO CITIZENS: CLASSROOM EXPERIENCES
A menu of interactive, in-school, or virtual lessons, delivered either by League-trained facilitators or the classroom teacher, that motivate and equip students and young adults to vote and take action.
Fighting for the Vote
MODULE 1: The Suffrage Timeline (What’s it worth?)
Immerses students in the sacrifices made to gain the vote— from the start of the nation through the ongoing fight against voter suppression. They join a human suffrage timeline as the avatars they are assigned fight for and gain the vote.
MODULE 2: The Truth about Turnout (Who’s got the power?)
Engages students in an analysis of turnout data focusing on their own age group and ethnicity. They role-play to challenge typical excuses for not voting.
MODULE 3: Vote by Design (How do I choose?)
Guides students through a nonpartisan, issue-agnostic process for selecting candidates whose values and priorities support their own.
MODULE 4: Casting your Ballot (How do I vote?)
Equips students to tackle barriers to registering and voting.
- Voting Simulation
In-person experience from registration to reading a sample ballot, to signing in at the polls, to learning when and how to ask for a provisional ballot, and finally, to vote.
- Student Voting Advocate Toolkit
Remote experience teaches students how to register remotely and vote by mail correctly and encourages them to assist family and community members…
Student Voting Advocate Toolkit (English and Spanish)
Fighting for Change
MODULE 1: WHAT'S YOUR ISSUE? HOW DO I DETERMINE ISSUES IMPORTANT TO ME?
Students learn that leadership is important, but that leadership is a group process and needs engaged supporters – the fourth branch of government – them. They explore the qualities of an effective leader via discussion of current issues.
MODULE 2: I AM (inform, act, monitor) How do I effect change?
Students identify an issue of importance to them and how the issue evidences itself. Bringing attention to their position, and knowing their rights when doing so, students draft policy and advocate for it.
MODULE 3: Across the divide (How do I actively listen?)
Students learn to speak so others can ‘hear’ them and listen to understand the beliefs of others. Skills practice helps students learn to express their concerns with conviction and civility.
For more in-depth learning, additional lessons are available. (firstname.lastname@example.org).
SCHOOL-BASED VOTER REGISTRATION INITIATIVES
- Student Voting Toolkit slides and guides (English & Spanish) to help students help older adults navigate unfamiliar registration and voting procedures
- #MyVoiceMyVoteNJ – collaboration with NJPSA to provide in-school voter registration drives
- Project 555- collaboration with Rutgers (Camden) to provide remote, personalized assistance for voter registration
INDIVIDUAL LEADERSHIP OPPORTUNITIES
- Youth Advisory Board – a diverse group by age (18-29), gender, ethnicity/race, and education type who set direction and policy for Energizing Young Voters
- Internships (data analysis, research, …) – semester length, university students
- Service Points – Volunteerism, high school age —social media monitoring, administrative assistance, VOTE411 nudging, presenting, materials reviews
- Student Advocate Toolkit – help others register online and vote using Vote by Mail ballots
- Fighting for Change—Module 3
- LWVGRBA high school program to motivate and help prepare students to run for office at some point in their lives
- NJ Center for Civic Education programs/competitions: We the People; Project Citizen
- Mock Election
- Vote by Design (Stanford Univ. Design School)
- iCivics.com – an exhaustive collection of teacher-designed civics lessons for all grades & topics
- The Teaching Channel – an online community where teachers can watch, share, and learn; the link is to civics topics.
- LWVSMC Hot Topics ( 2020 Census, Ballot Security, and other up-to-the-minute of interest topics)
- TEXT helpline 732-927-1131 immediate voting help
- VOTE411– LWV info on all things voting in the USA
- How To Vote By Mail